Last Thursday evening, Women in Strata gathered together in Sydney’s Potts Point to hear about how we, as busy multi-taskers who find it hard to say ‘no’ and put ourselves first, may find some balance amongst the madness of the modern day.
Here are my key takeaways from the insights Laura Mears and Beverley Price had to offer the room:-
1. Often it takes a major life event (moving overseas; divorce; turning 50) to make the change you have always wanted to make. It shouldn’t, but often it does. Don’t wait till that event arrives. Do yourself a favour and act now.
2. If you’re feeling fit, strong and healthy, everything else has a way of falling into place: whether it be business or personal. Start with YOU and the benefits flow in all directions.
3. There is no one right way to be fit and healthy. For some, it’s about winning a bodybuilding competition. For others, it’s being proud of what you have on show at age 50 and living your life on your own terms. Find the right fit for you and you’re already most of the way there.
4. You can’t keep saying yes to everyone. From scheduling your day to achieve what YOU want to achieve (not what your inbox demands of you), to saying ‘no’ to that afternoon meeting so that you can still fit in your beach time, it’s about prioritising what’s important to you in life. Your health and fitness should be at the top of that list. (see point 2 above).
5. Find your tribe. There are amazing women out there who have done what you want to do; who have asked AND answered the questions in your head. Why not take the short cut: seek them out, ask them why and how and when. Do what they recommend. You’ll be where you want to be in half the time it would otherwise have taken you alone.
Both Laura and Beverley have issued an open invitation to any Woman in Strata who wants to take their every-day experience to the next level to get in touch. Click on their names to shoot them an email and start asking why and how and when.
On behalf of the Women in Strata steering committee, I extend the deepest gratitude to Laura and Beverley for taking the time to share their intensely personal and life changing stories and strategies with us. What a great way to kick off 2017.